Approximately 200 Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces in 2022.
Of those, more than 50 were Palestinian children.
According to the United Nations, 2022 was the deadliest year on record for Palestinians in the occupied West Bank since the agency started recording fatalities in 2005.
During Israel’s three-day assault on Gaza in August, Israel killed nearly 40 Palestinians. An additional 13 Palestinians in Gaza were killed during that period either by Israeli forces or by Palestinian rockets that fell short in the territory.
In the last two months, Israeli soldiers and undercover agents have rampaged through cities, towns, villages and refugee camps across the West Bank, killing around 30 Palestinians since the beginning of November.
“This violence is escalating because it’s a direct consequence of Israel’s continued theft and expansion on Palestinian land. Settler-colonialism is an inherently violent process,” Abunimah says.
“And at the same time that the violence has been escalating, it seems that Western governments and Arab governments who are generally client regimes of the West are also escalating the rewards for Israel. So there is no [accountability for individual] Israelis who perpetrate these killings, or for the Israeli state and its leaders – they can carry on with killing as usual.”
We also discuss the Israeli execution of Palestinian American Al Jazeera reporter Shireen Abu Akleh and the significance of Palestinian support at the recent World Cup.
The episode is part one of a two-part series on our top stories of 2022. Stay tuned for part two.
Articles we discussed
- “Ben-Gvir pours fuel on Jerusalem and West Bank violence,” Maureen Clare Murphy
- “Israel kills 10 in surprise attacks on Gaza,” Ali Abunimah and Tamara Nassar
- “Israel scores own goal with World Cup charm offensive,” Ahmed Abu Artema
- “Amid outrage over journalist’s killing, US vows to put Israel first,” Maureen Clare Murphy
- “Israel intended to kill Shireen Abu Akleh – probe,” Maureen Clare Murphy
- “Al Jazeera asks ICC to investigate killing of Shireen Abu Akleh,” Maureen Clare Murphy
- “Family of Palestinian American grandfather killed by Israel wants US probe,” Ali Abunimah
- “Omar Assad’s family says Israeli settlement claim is a lie,” Ali Abunimah
Video production by Tamara Nassar
Theme music by Sharif Zakout
Subscribe to The Electronic Intifada Podcast on Apple Podcasts (search for The Electronic Intifada) and on Spotify. Support our podcast by rating us, sharing and leaving a review, and you can also donate to fund our work.