Gaza under large-scale attack

A Palestinian family that evacuated their home after Israel attacked the Gaza Strip and demolished bridges and a power station, June 28, 2006. (MaanImages/Hatem Omar)

I am writing while the jet fighters are in the sky with their horrible sounds, bringing death and horror. It is 10:30 pm and I am still waiting, like everyone. I hope they will not go ahead with their operation into Gaza; the outcome could be horrible. The resistance movements are going ahead with their preparations too, but it is obvious which side holds the balance of power. Anyway, Israel - resistance or no resistance - is attacking us all the time, but this time will be different, and in the process many civilian lives will be lost. I am listening to the local radio. It seems that the operation started in Khan Yunis. The artillery started shelling under the cover of Apache helicopters and jet fighters.

I am able to write now, but I do not know what will happen next. The power might cut off soon. A few hours ago, Mohammed and Sondos had a narrow escape during their way home - a car exploded 150 meters from my home, close to the president’s home. One person died and four were injured. I cannot help worrying, I am after all a mother.

I shall stay strong; tommorrow I am going to the Red Crescent Society office. We are supposed to get some medications to be used at Al-Awda Hospital for the emergency department. The medications were stopped at the closed borders, but I am hoping to get them through with the help of the World Health Organization. I am not sure if we shall receive them in time, but I shall keep trying.

The airplanes’ sounds in the sky are geting louder. I shall keep writing, as it is a big relief for me.

Al-Awda Hospital is inside Jabalia refujee camp. Two weeks ago, it received the Ghalia family children, who lost their parents during the beach incident. Mohamed and Sondos are my dear kids. I pray for the safety of all the the children of the world, including Israeli children.

Al-Awda Hospital’s mediction supplies are enough for only one week of routine use. If the operation continues and casualty numbers increase, I am warning that a health disaster will follow.

The operation against Gaza is continuing. It is 1:30 am; the Gaza bridge has been destroyed. The jet fighters are still in the sky hitting many targets. The Gaza power plant was hit by at least seven missiles. I can see a big fire from my window, and hear the sirens of emergency vans. I live by the beach, and can hear that the gun boats started shelling too.

As of 7 AM, 28 June, I am updating this diary. Last night, it was too dangerous for me to reach the computer. The power was cut off. I stayed on the floor with my son and daughter; we did not sleep at all - like all the residents in the Gaza strip. We could not manage to get a few hours of sleep, as the jet fighters showered our area with sonic bombs - it is a very loud and horrifying sound.

They are continuing their attacks.

I contacted the hospital several times - no casualties yet. The operation is going on in different parts of the Gaza strip, but it is focused in the south. I have no idea about the casualties in Rafah.

Mona Elfarra is a doctor, mother and activist working at Al Awda Hospital in Gaza City. She is a member of the Union of Health Work Committees and a membeer of the board of directors of the Palestinian Red Crescent Society for the Gaza Strip. She will continue future updates on her blog,

Related Links

  • BY TOPIC: Israel invades Gaza (27 June 2006)