“Marc,” a previously unknown “gay activist,” has released his first ever video on YouTube. It’s a perfectly edited, slickly produced, funny but also very sincere inquiry into the Gaza Freedom Flotilla 2.
We like to believe that things like this don’t happen anymore in our community, f***ing unbelievable. I’m not a usually a fan of putting down people in public, but this is a story I felt I had to share- what happened when my LGBTQ network tried to hook up with the flotilla to Gaza. Let me know if you’ve had similar experiences- email@example.com.
This sophisticated YouTube video uses voice over, multiple camera angles, perfect lighting and even B-roll. The organization or government who produced the video and the marc3pax persona must be very proud of their work.
This personal video blog is badly executed and counterfeit.
There is no reason to indicate that anything this actor says is true. He has no history on the internet, no other videos, and no real story. Where did he attend college? What is his last name? Which group did he write to? What exactly did they say?
- When your gay rights activist talks about emails that he sent or received, be sure to write these emails, forge the headers and show them on the video.
- Don’t spend a lot of time making the video look nice. People have believed all sorts of poorly produced, incoherent nonsense that gives itself away in the past.
- Amateurism indicates authenticity.
- Develop a history for your fraudulent internet persona. Presumably, we should have first met Marc sometime last year.
This is pinkwashing.
This is a transparent effort to justify the oppressive and criminal siege of Gaza—and possible violent Israeli attack on the upcoming Flotilla—by describing Palestinians as dangerous, violent homophobes and misogynists. Pinkwashing is a tactic that pro-Israel groups and the Israeli government have been consciously using to try to divide and co-opt the Palestine solidarity movement and its connection to other movements around the world. Pinkwashing is a phenomenon that Palestine solidarity activists have become vocal in resisting.
- Max Blumenthal writes about the links between the purveyors of this video and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.