In the past two days, Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) killed 10 Palestinians and wounded 11 others, including a child, in the Gaza Strip. Six of the victims, including two civilians, were killed during an incursion conducted by IOF into the northern Gaza Strip town of Jabalya. The remaining victims were extra-judicially executed by IOF in Beit Lahia and Gaza City.
According to investigations conducted by PCHR, at approximately 09:20 on Friday, 13 October 2006, an IOF drone fired a missile at a civilian car that was traveling in the center of the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Lahia. Three members of the ‘Izziddin al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of Hamas. The missile hit the car and killed the three passengers:
1. Mohammed Jameel al-Talouli, 39;
2. ‘Aadel Rashad al-Maqousi, 30; and
3. Rasem Fathi Zhaher, 35.
In addition, a civilian bystander, 14-year-old Sa’ad ‘Aadel Abu ‘Olba, was wounded by shrapnel to the feet.
At approximately 01:00 on Saturday, 14 October 2006, IOF, reinforced by heavy military vehicles, and helicopters, moved nearly 2500 meters into the northern Gaza Strip town of Jabalya. They took position in ‘Abed Rabbu farm in the east of the town. Nearly an hour later, IOF helicopters fired 5 missiles at a number of members of the Palestinian resistance who were in the area. As a result, 4 members of the resistance and two residents of the area were killed:
1. Ahmed Hassan Abu al-‘Eish, 19;
2. Rami Abu Rashed, 23;
3. Sakher Fayez Abu Jabal, 21;
4. Mohammed Fayez Shaqqura, 20;
5. Salman Hassan al-‘Er, 29, a resident of the area; and
6. Fayez Abu al-‘Er, 33, a resident of the area.
In addition, 8 others were wounded. IOF withdrew from the area at approximately 04:00, leaving large destruction to agricultural land and civilian facilities.
At approximately 15:30 also on Saturday, an IOF drone fired two missiles at a civilian car that was traveling in Ahmed Yassin Street in al-Zaytoun neighborhood in the southeast of Gaza City. Two members of the Mujahideen Brigade, an armed wing of Fatah movement, were traveling in the car. The two missiles hit the car and killed one of the passengers, 24-year-old Raja’ei Ahmed al-Labban, and wounded the other passenger. In addition, two civilian bystanders were wounded by shrapnel.
PCHR in deeply concerned over this latest escalation by IOF, and:
1. Strongly condemns these latest crimes and other crimes committed by IOF against Palestinian civilians in disregard for their lives.
2. Reiterates its condemnation for the policy of extra-judicial executions adopted by IOF against Palestinian resistance activists, and asserts that this policy increases tension in the region and threatens the lives of Palestinian civilians.
3. Calls upon the international community, particularly the High Contracting Parties to the Fourth Geneva Convention, to meet their obligations under the Convention to ensure protection for Palestinian civilians in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.
The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) is an independent legal body based in Gaza City dedicated to protecting human rights, promoting the rule of law and upholding democratic principles in the Occupied Palestinian Territory. It holds Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations and is an affiliate of the International Commission of Jurists, the Federation Internationale des Ligues des Droits de l’Homme (FIDH), and the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network. PCHR is a recipient of the 1996 French Republic Award for Human Rights.