The grand prize is “Return 2,” an original acrylic on paper artwork by Zahi Khamis. Twenty runners-up will receive EI T-shirts, and twenty more will receive great Palestine solidarity pin packs donated by Sambar for Pins and Flags!
With their hunched backs and heavy bags, the wispy figures that inhabit the paintings of Zahi Khamis are world-weary, yet not broken. The figures in this unique piece are symbolic of the resilience of the Palestinian people — alive despite numerous setbacks, but still longing to return home.
Khamis, born in a small village outside Nazareth, currently works and resides in Baltimore, Maryland, producing many works touching Palestinian themes — displacement, memory, struggle, and optimism.
EI Sweepstakes rules and disclosures
(1) The sweepstakes period is from 1 May to 31 May, 2004. The sweepstakes is open to people who live in the United States and other countries.
(2) This sweepstakes is organized and sponsored by the The EI Project (MECCS/EI). The EI Project is a program service of the Middle East Cultural and Charitable Society, a tax-exempt charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code. MECCS/EI’s address is 1507 E. 53rd Street, #500, Chicago, IL 60615.
(3) No purchase or donation is necessary to enter the sweepstakes. If you make a donation to MECCS/EI during the sweepstakes period, and provide your full name and address, you will automatically be entered into the prize drawing. To enter the prize drawing without making a donation, you must send a postcard by post with your full name, address and telephone number and bearing the words “EI sweepstakes” to: MECCS/EI, 1507 E.53rd Street, #500, Chicago, IL 60615, United States of America. This postcard must be received during the sweepstakes period.
(4) Odds of winning will be determined by the number of valid entries received during the sweepstakes period. Each participant will have equal odds to all other participants. Making a donation will not improve odds of winning. Making multiple entries will not improve odds of winning.
(5) Winners will be notified by 15 July 2004. If MECCS/EI is unable to contact a winner by 15 July 2004, we reserve the right to conduct a new drawing and declare a new winner for that prize.
(6) MECCS/EI will pay shipping and insurance costs for delivery. The recipient of the prize is solely responsible for paying any taxes or customs charges (if outside the United States) that may be associated with winning a prize.
(7) The first prize in this sweepstakes is a unique work of art created by Zahi Khamis. The retail value of this prize is $1000.00.
(8) The first twenty runners-up drawn after the first-prize drawing will each receive an EI T-Shirt. The retail value of each T-Shirt is $15.00.
(9) The next twenty runners-up after those drawn for the T-shirts, will each receive a pack of four Palestine solidarity pins, donated by Sambar Trading. The retail value of these pin packs is $6.00 each.
(10) Prizes cannot be exchanged for cash equivalent.
(11) This sweepstakes offer and any implied solicitation is void where prohibited by law.