One killed, several injured in continued factional fighting

Masked Hamas militants clashing with masked Fatah militants in the West Bank city of Nablus. Six people were injured in the first hours of inter-Palestinian fighting in the city. December 22, 2006. (MaanImages/Rami Swidan)

One Person Killed and 11 Others, Including Three Children, Wounded As Tension Continues in Occupied Palestinian Territory

The past three days witnessed a number of attacks in the context of continued tension in the Occupied Palestinian Territory. As a result of these attacks, one person was killed and 11 others, including three children, were wounded.

According to investigations conducted by PCHR:

At approximately 08:00 on Saturday, 23 December 2006, two masked gunmen opened fire at Captain Hasan Imsa’il Jarbou’, 33, of the Preventive Security Service, when he was near the Star Square in al-Shaboura neighborhood in Rafah. Jarbou’ was seriously wounded by 3 live bullets to the chest and the abdomen. In addition, two bystanders, including a child, were wounded:

1) Amal Eyad Jaber, 9, wounded by a number of live bullet to the hands; and
2) Ahmed Ra’fat Mansour, 20, wounded by a number of live bullets and shrapnel to the abdomen and the left thigh.

At approximately 22:00 also on Saturday, unknown gunmen opened fire at the Palestinian Presidential Security Forces that guard Rafah International Crossing Point. No casualties were reported.

At approximately 10:30 on Friday, 22 December 2006, an exchange of fire erupted between members of Fatah movement and those of Hamas, who were in participating in a celebration organized by Hamas at Nablus Stadium. Eight persons, including two children, were wounded:

1) ‘Ali Khaled Samehna, 11;
2) Nour al-Din ‘Aamer Hassiba, 13;
3) Ussama Maqboul, 22;
4) ‘Abdullah al-Samhan, 19;
5) ‘Abdul Latif Ibrahim Samehna, 23;
6) Mohammed Sidqi ‘Aashour, 26;
7) Mohammed Jameel Hamayel, 30, seriously wounded by a live bullet to the neck; and
8) Mo’in Hmoudha, 34, seriously wounded by a live bullet to the head, when he was inside his house which overlooks the stadium.

A member of Fatah movement, 19-year-old Tamer ‘Aashour, had been kidnapped by members of Hamas in the Northern Mount neighborhood in Nablus for some time.

Earlier, at approximately 00:00, a number of armed members of the Dughmosh family opened fire at the house of Dr. Mahmoud al-Zahhar, Palestinian Foreign Minister, in al-Sabra neighborhood in Gaza City. The guards of the house responded by opening fire at them, and an exchange of fire erupted between the two sides. The exchange of fire extended to the vicinity of the Palestinian Presidential Compound in the west of Gaza City. No casualties were reported.

At approximately 23:00 on Thursday, 21 December 2006, an armed group traveling in a civilian vehicle opened fire at Ayman ‘Ata al-Jerjawi, 35, and Mahmoud al-Li, when they were near al-Jerjawi’s house in al-Sabra neighborhood in the center of Gaza City. Al-Jerjawi was seriously wounded by a live bullet to the chest. He was evacuated to Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, but medical efforts to save his life failed. The armed group also kidnapped al-Li.

On Thursday evening, 21 December 2006, one of those who were killed during clashes between members of the General Intelligence and those of the Executive Force of the Ministry of Interior on Tuesday, 19 December 2006, was identified as Sam Farouq Dughmosh, 22. The victim was first identified in the register of Shifa Hospital as Mohammed Kassab.

PCHR is gravely concerned for the increasing number of casualties resulting from the misuse of weapons by armed groups and security personnel, which is part of the state of security chaos and misuse of weapons. PCHR calls upon the Palestinian National Authority, represented by the Attorney-General, to investigate such attacks and to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Related Links

  • Palestinian Centre for Human Rights