Ilan Pappe lectures and presents his latest book in Amsterdam

Ilan Pappe giving his lecture in Amsterdam. (Photo: Anja Meulenbelt)


On January 26, Israeli historian Ilan Pappe gave a lecture at the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. Pappe was in the Netherlands on invitation of United Civilians for Peace and Another Jewish Voice. On January 27 he presented his latest book “The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine” in ABC Treehouse Gallery and On January 28, he lectured at Desmet in Amsterdam.

Download his lecture here: Part 1 (MP3) | Part 2 (MP3)

Pappe’s book shows that in 1948, the Zionist movement waged a war against the Palestinian people in order to implement its long term plans of ethnic cleansing. The Arab world tried to prevent this cleansing, but was too fragmented, self-centered and ineffective to stop the uprooting of half of Palestine’s native population, the destruction of half of its villages and towns and the killing of thousands of its people.

And since that ethnic cleansing was successfully implemented in almost 80% of Palestine without any global or regional repercussions - the ethnic cleansing policy continues ever since 1967 in the remaining 20% of the country. The book argues that since in the eyes of the world - including the State Department and the UN - ethnic cleansing is a crime against humanity, this how we should view the Israeli actions in the past and Israel’s policies in the present.

Audio: Stan Houcke

Related Links

  • Palestine 2007: Genocide in Gaza, Ethnic Cleansing in the West Bank, Ilan Pappe (11 January 2007)
  • The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine (2006)