Convoy to Nablus: Statement

A joint convoy comprised of representatives from 14 international and 9 national humanitarian agencies working in the West Bank and Gaza set out to Nablus on Tuesday, April 9th. The convoy consisted of 16 vehicles, five of which were carrying basic food and medicines for distribution to the most vulnerable families. Nablus has been under siege for the past week without a lifting of the Israeli military curfew since. Hospitals, charitable societies and other aid agencies have reported critical needs in the area. In response, a joint initiative by international and national organizations was taken to supply vulnerable communities with food and medicine, one of the few aid shipments made to the town.

The convoy was able to access Nablus with some difficulty, following delays at a military roadblock in Jerusalem. More than halfway into the journey, the convoy was prevented passage by the Israeli military until members of the press turned back.

Between 10:30-11:00 a.m., the convoy reached Nablus, and delivered food to the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) and medical supplies to Union of Palestinian Medical Relief Committees (UPMRC). The PRCS and UPMRC will be coordinating with the local emergency committee, local government bodies and the International Red Cross to distribute the supplies to vulnerable families and hospitals and clinics. These agencies have not been able to operate freely to access the injured and the vulnerable since the Israeli military began its operation in Nablus a week ago. Because journalists have been refused access to Nablus, no independent confirmation of the damage to public and private property exists. Participants in the convoy however noted damaged roads, destroyed buildings, damaged streetlights, and other destructions to infrastructure. Tank and helicopter shelling and shooting could be heard while the convoy was in Nablus.

The convoy returned to Jerusalem at about 2 p.m. Overall, the convoy was a success meeting the objectives set out for the initiative. Access, however limited and despite delays, was given to both international and national humanitarian agencies with no member of the convoy hurt, detained or arrested.