The University of Western Sydney’s Student Association (UWSSA) has decided to formally affiliate to the “Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel.” The call to boycott which was sent by Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI) was adopted in full.
In Palestine, millions of people live under an oppressive military regime. Among them, hundreds of thousands of university students have to endure ongoing humiliations at checkpoints and roadblocks on their way to campus. Earlier this year, Israel even denied the right of some students from Gaza to study overseas.
As long as the occupation and apartheid continue, we, students of the University of Western Sydney, stand in solidarity with the Palestinian students, and the Palestinian people as a whole, and we acknowledge the role of the academic institutions of Israel in the highly oppressive apartheid regime.
The University of Western Sydney’s Student Association will:
- Refrain from participation in any form of academic and cultural cooperation, collaboration or joint projects with Israeli institutions;
- Advocate a comprehensive boycott of Israeli institutions at the national and international levels, including suspension of all forms of funding and subsidies to these institutions;
- Promote divestment and disinvestment from Israel by international academic institutions;
- Work toward the condemnation of Israeli policies by pressing for resolutions to be adopted by academic, professional and cultural associations and organizations;
- Support Palestinian academic and cultural institutions directly without requiring them to partner with Israeli counterparts as an explicit or implicit condition for such support.